Monday, June 11, 2007

No Shaking Rumps In This One

Saturday night, Lisa, Harper, and I drove up to Bethesda to have dinner with a large contingent of extended family members -- Israelis, attorneys, Libertarians, etc -- and on the way, Harper said, from the backseat, "Whoah. I see a lot of caterpillars on my legs. A hundred caterpillars on my legs."

And, here's the thing: there was a moment, thanks to the steady irrationalizing process that parenting puts you through, when I actually thought, "Shit. Did I leave a box of caterpillars on the backseat? Is Tuffy going to be all traumatized a year from now because I let bugs crawl all over him while on the Capital Beltway?"

Fortunately, reason returned and a quick glance showed that this was some kind of new pretend thing he had going, some kind of new story he wanted to tell us.

A story that we promptly messed up by commenting on how amazing it would be when all of those caterpillars turned into butterflies. "No," he said. "I see a lot of caterpillars on my legs. Not butterflies."

Stay in the present, in other words. Love the present caterpillars instead of worrying about the future butterflies.

3 comments:

pava said...

Caterpillars are the new black.

Honkymagic said...

I'm the new black, G.

Nobis said...

Harps sees caterpillars on his leg like Bukowski sees horses at the racetrack.

Or something like that.