Friday, April 4, 2008

Suttree

Reading Cormac McCarthy's Suttree, and, Holy Jeebus, this is a fantastic book, and it's funny, too. Plus, it teaches me new words. My favorite so far: murenger. I think I'll make it the name of the Strong Bitter I made a few weeks ago. Murengers' Bitter.

And it has this sentence (right on the second page, for crying out loud):

"Where hunters and woodcutters once slept in their boots by the dying light of their thousand fires and went on, old teutonic forebears with eyes incandesced by the visionary light of a massive rapacity, wave on wave of the violent and the insane, their brains stoked with spoorless analogues of all that was, lean aryans with their abrogate semitic chapbook reenacting the dramas and parables therein and mindless and pale with a longing that nothing save dark's total restitution could appease."

Clockers was a fun diversion, and The God Delusion, like I said, was about what you'd expect. And I read some of Faking It: The Quest for Authenticity in Popular Music, which has an entertaining chapter on Neil Young, but, as far as I could tell, not much else.

No comments: